Monday, July 12, 2010

the all nighter


Imagine my surprise when Jen returned from Kroger with Doritos Late Night All Nighter Cheeseburger Tortilla Chips in a shiny black bag featuring a neon burger joint sign.  I scoffed at the idea of chips tasting like a late night cheeseburger.  Reading the nutritional label, I learned that the chips have Og transfat and are porcine and gluten free!

Do the folks at Doritos really believe that anyone eating these chips is concerned about transfat, porcine "enzymes," or gluten?



 The aroma of a well-grilled burger emerges from the bag as I open it.  Once the chips are out of the bag, I note that they are brightly colored and flecked with what the nutritional label calls bits of whole corn, msg, "natural flavor," onion powder, cheddar cheese, garlic powder, swiss cheese, mustard seed powder, and other unidentifiable substances. Biting into one of the crisp chips, I begin sensing the individual flavors...there's ketchup. Then I taste the mustard.  Oooo, pickles and lettuce.  Mmmmm lots of cheese.
 Not bad!  Surprisingly,  I like them.


When you are hungry at 2 a.m. you really don't care if the bag says Doritos instead of Krystal or McDonald's.
I rate the flavor good, but the looks you will get when people see that you have actually bought these chips will be evil...



Don't worry if you enjoy these chips; even well-known chefs have their own guilty pleasures:
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment